Kitchen Dishwasher Buying Guide – Finding The Best Dishwasher For Your Home
Whether you are just tired and sick of doing dishes or you have determined that you are tired of fights over who gets to dry and who has to wash, a dishwasher might be one of the best kitchen appliances that you choose to pick up!
There are many brands and models to choose from, and when you start looking, it might seem a little bit tricky.
However, understanding which dishwasher to buy will rely on a range of factors; therefore take tips from this kitchen dishwasher buying guide to help you make your purchase.
Remember that the best dishwasher is not the priciest one or the one with the most features; it is the one that is suitable for you!
An Overview of Kitchen Dishwasher
The dishwasher is fast becoming an essential tool in the kitchen nowadays. The dishwasher was utilized to be a gorgeous item in the past.
Most of the families were not able to buy it back then. Besides, dishwashers in the past were inefficient and noisy.
They made plenty of noise during the wash and rinsed cycle where most people could not stand it. I bet the neighbor could just hear it too.
They were also weighty back then and made an ugly sight in the kitchen. People would rather abstain from using it if possible.
With the advancement of technology, the dishwasher has fast become an affordable item today. The noisy environment made by a dishwasher is no longer adequate nowadays.
The sophisticated insulation technology has celebrated the modern dishwasher soundless.
Moreover, its contemporary and seamless design considers styles and can easily blend into any kitchen designs. Modern dishwashers indeed create an excellent compliment to the kitchen.
Our friends from Expertvillage have a detailed video on how to use kitchen dishwasher,before reading our own guideline,just have a look what they got to say:
Most Significant Question, Why do I Need a Dishwasher?
The advantage is the key. Although it is only the two of us, a dishwasher makes life so much easier. We can only stack the dishes in the dishwasher and just run it after 2-3 meals when it is full.
How Much Water does a Dishwasher Spend Compared to Hand-Washing?
There is general information that a dishwasher uses plenty of energy and water. In truth, dishwashers use way lesser water compared to washing dishes by hand.
A dishwasher wastes, on average, 10-14 liters of water (relying on the model) whereas hand-washing needs 30-40 liters.
Will My Electricity Bill Shoot Up after Applying the Dishwasher?
A dishwasher is completely energy efficient as it usages only 1-2 kW of power each wash (relying on the chosen program).
The electricity consumed is utilized to heat up the water, which is recycled and pumped around the device.
Is not a Dishwasher too Expensive?
You must think about that a dishwasher is a long-term investment. On average, a dishwasher has a lifespan of 10-12 years.
You will find other benefits of having a dishwasher – better hygiene, no breakages of expensive crockery, convenience, more standard time for yourself and more.
Things to Consider before Buying the Most Reliable Dishwasher
If you are in the market for a dishwasher, you will find different aspects that you need to think about before buying one.
- The first consideration you need to do is decide how much space you have for your dishwasher. This will provide you a concept as to what dishwasher size you will require that will great fit your kitchen space, and in turn, will help you determine the budget that you will need to work on.
- Investing more on a dishwasher does not thoroughly mean that you are finding more out of it. The reality is, you will find many average-priced dishwashers out there that have as many features comparable, if not, show more than those highly-priced versions.
- Another important look to think about is a dishwasher's overall performance regarding sanitizing and cleaning capabilities, load capacity, noise level, and most importantly, it is the ability to be energy and water-efficient.
- Finally, the maintenance of a dishwasher is as important. All of us look for a dishwasher that is easy to maintain and is strong enough to last long. A few even comes with a self-cleaning feature which is very necessary and handy in keeping your dishwasher in better shape.
Kitchen Dishwasher Buying Guide - What to Look for when Buying a Dishwasher?
Getting the Right Size of Your Dishwasher
When purchasing a dishwasher, you will need to think about the size of the unit, demanding you to take the measuring tape out and measure the dimensions of the space where it will go.
Do not be enticed by an idea or try and keep in mind the size of your old model – it can be a great mistake to get the dimensions wrong by even an inch.
Load Capacity of Kitchen Dishwasher
Dishwasher capacity is standardized in place settings, which means the highest amount of utensils and plates it can wash per cycle.
An adjustable full-sized dishwasher has a 12-place setting capacity, which is sufficient:
- 12 dinner plates
- 12 tumblers
- 12 tea cups and saucers
- 12 dessert plates
- 12 soup plates
- 12 individual knives, soup spoons, forks, teaspoons and dessertspoons
This might be suitable for a traditional family, but you can downsize or upsize if your family is smaller or larger than most.
Consider the Types of Dishwashers
The size of your dishwasher will be tightly connected with what type you end up purchasing. You will find traditionally three options:
- Compact: 6 or fewer settings
- Slimline: 9 to 10 place settings
- Full sized: 12 to 14 place settings
Apart from the size, there is also choice concerning the style of dishwasher you want.
- Perfect for kitchens with spaces for slotting kitchen tools in.
- More conventional in designer kitchens, these are out of sight and fitted with a unit door to blend in with the regarding layout.
- Fully-integrated: This kind of dishwasher is for those who want their dishwasher to blend in with the cabinetry in their kitchen.
- Semi-integrated: This type of dishwasher is for those who want their dishwasher to blend in with the cabinetry in their kitchen, but demand the dials that handle the dishwasher from the outside.
- The ergonomic design of Dishdrawers means they can be situated under the benchtop at waist height so you can load and unload all with minimum bending.
Energy Rating of a Dishwasher
All dishwashers’ features an energy rating, with a maximum number of stars meaning it is user friendly on the environment.
The more costly a model is, the more energy-efficient it will be, and you will find different features to help you save money on your electricity bills.
A late start option implies you can set your dishwasher to run by off-peak electricity times, while half-load or economy settings are also accessible.
Water Rating of a Dishwasher
The WELS or Water Efficiency Labeling and Standards system is a joint federal government and industry program that allows a star rating for products that use water. Dishwashers with enough stars can protect water better.
Most people incorrectly believe that washing dishes by hand is best for the environment; nevertheless dishwashers truly usage less water than manually washing away in the sink.
Features and Programs
Adjustable dishwashers will suppose to have delicate, normal, and heavy cycles, but there are more programs.
These may comprise extra-hot washes for additional hygiene, or a quick setting that has small loads closed in a hurry.
This energy-saving feature implies you can set your device to start during off-peak power periods.
It can even be set for when you are out of the house therefore that you do not have to hear the dishwasher running while you are at home.
High-end dishwashers feature a self-filtration system that implies they clean themselves.
Selecting for a more cost-effective choice may quest you to manually empty out the filter to confine food blockages and bad odors.
Installation of Kitchen Dishwashers
Having your dishwasher installed by an expert may be the preferred choice if you are not confident doing it yourself (DIY).
Nevertheless, when going it alone, ensure you have exactly measured the dimensions of the space where it will go.
The dishwasher must also be in touch of a water supply in order to be associated.
Last but not least, you will find other not so important factors that you can think about when shop around for a dishwasher.
Features such as half load option, NSF Certified, 16 places setting, spotless drying, and fold-down rack, upper rack cycles are some of the things that are excellent to have a dishwasher.
All in all, buying for a dishwasher can sometimes be a challenging experience. With a little knowledge and this kitchen dishwasher buying guide, you can make the shopping trip a breeze.
However, don’t forget… as a reader, you never miss and let me inform us with your comments below.